SquirrelMail woes

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sun Dec 12 00:50:35 PST 2004

--On Saturday, December 11, 2004 4:25 PM -0600 Mike Oliveri
<moliveri at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to upgrade SquirrelMail and PHP from the ports (I'm
> on FreeBSD 4.9) and keep running into the following error in my Apache
> error log:
>
> [Sat Dec 11 16:14:58 2004] [error] PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined
> function:  session_id() in
> /usr/local/www/data/webmail/functions/global.php on line 293
>
> The SquirrelMail wiki says to rebuild PHP with --enable-session, and
> also has the suggestion session.file_handler set to "files" (I assume
> it means session-save_handler as that's all I found). If I run
> pkg_version -v, here's what it has to say about PHP, so I assume
> php-session is the equivalent of compiling with --enable-session:

This appears to be a case of not reading /usr/ports/UPDATING.  The php port
was altered not too long ago, and the extensions were moved to a separate
port.  You need to install both php4 *and* php4-extensions.  Then you'll
have to reinstall squirrelmail.  Also, make sure you comment out the
extensions_dir variable in php.info.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas