Un-GNOME-ing a FreeBSD box

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:23:37 PST 2004

<snip>
> it's refusing to delete things due to dependency
> issues. I'm not sure, but I'll bet that the dependencies here aren't
> a clean, hierarchical tree but rather more of a "web". If there's
> a circular dependency, he's stuck.

As far as I know, there is nothing as such called cyclic dependendancy.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Regarding uninstalling the ports, you can
always use the -f option which would force pkg_delete to clean up the ports
without checking the dependency tree.

> Again, I really find it hard to believe that there would be no provision
> for deleting a port AND the ports on which it depends cleanly. I tend
> to use a minimal number of ports and packages, and so didn't realize
> that this was such a difficult thing until now.
>
> --Brett

You can create a script/binary which looks up the B-Deps and R-Deps from the
INDEX.db in /usr/ports and supply the port names to pkg_delete which would
in turn clean things up.

Regards
S.

Indian Institute of Information Technology
Subhro Sankha Kar
Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
Salt Lake City
PIN 700091