gateway_enable question

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Dec 11 09:31:06 PST 2004

David Banning wrote:

>>>On the firewall it is difficult to block the win boxes because I -want-
>>>each machine to be able to contact each other,  but I don't want the
>>>windows boxes to have internet connection.
>>>

>>Now, that seems a little weird.  Do you not have a hub or switch
>>other than the BSD box on this network?  Unless you're doing
>>some strange routing or something, everybody on the wire
>>ought to see everybody else regardless of the settings on the
>>firewall (except they maybe won't see *it* ...)
>>

>DSL Modem <> BSD Box <> HUB <> All win boxes
>
>Everyone does see each other. I just don't want the win boxes to
>see the internet; but I -do- want them to continue to see each other.

Giorgios' ipfw rules (last post in thread) take care of this well.
I suppose I was just confused; even if you told the BSD box to
block all traffic on the internal interface, the Winboxen would
still be able to communicate.  Probably I misread or misinterpreted
your paragraph.

Hope all's well now.

Kevin Kinsey