newsyslog

munn munn at umd.edu
Sat Dec 11 07:07:24 PST 2004

I have two FreeBSD machines running 4.10-RELEASE-p5.  On machine A
newsyslog  rolls over the log files perfectly, on Machine B I get the
message

/var/log/auth.log.0: No such file or directory

The newsyslog.conf entries are :
MACHINE A : /var/log/auth.log                       600  7     100  *     Z
MACHINE B: /var/log/auth.log                       600  7     100  $W6D0 Z

An ls of the /var/log directory yields

 ls -ltr auth*
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  97872 Dec 11 00:00 auth.log.1
-rw-------  1 root  wheel     95 Dec 11 00:00 auth.log.0.gz
-rw-------  1 root  wheel    176 Dec 11 09:42 auth.log

I have looked relevant permissions and files sizes on both machines and they are identical.  Can anyone suggest what the problem is?  Is the time entry the issue ... I just copied it from another entry in the newsyslog.conf file.

With thanks