master.passwd restoring from 4.10 to 5.3

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Sat Dec 11 00:26:43 PST 2004

John wrote:

> Is it possible to restore/merge master.passwd across the revision boundary?

I just moved a bunch of user accounts from 4.9 system to 5.3 system. All
it took was pasting the relevant lines of old master.passwd into new
master.passwd using vipw. I didn't touch any system user accounts, of
course.

> Do I have to do the same with /etc/groups?

/etc/group is just a text file, so there are no problems. Except, again,
don't replace the system groups of your 5.3 system with the ones from 4.10.