I lost ten percent of disk place in each partition, why?

Lars Eighner eighner at io.com
Fri Dec 10 19:12:18 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Liu Haixiao wrote:

> Used + Avail = 0.92 * 1K-blocks, that means I lost 10%
> disk space, why?

To put this in the simplest terms, the rest of the disk space
is reserved for indexing the file system.  All operating systems
have some means of doing this (for example, the FAT - file
allocation table - in microsoft file systems).

For the same reason it is possible for a filesystem to be
more than 100% full.  FreeBSD will sacrifice the space
reserved for indexing if it can.  Of course, it is usually
the case when a filesystem is more than 100% full that something
has gone serious wrong.

--
Lars Eighner
eighner at io.com -finger for geek code-