When to use 'portupgrade -R'

Joshua Lokken joshua.lokken at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 12:05:00 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:37:40 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick
<jcm at freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:32:33PM -0600, Joshua Lokken wrote:
> : from 'man portupgrade(1)':
>

> :
> :      -r
> :      --recursive  Act on all those packages depending on the
> :                       given packages as well.
> :
> :      -R
> :      --upward-recursive   Act on all those packages required
> :                        by the given packages as well. [snip]
> :
> : It sounds like you are / were not sure of what those options
> : actually do.  Have a read of the manpage; it'll do you worlds
> : of good.
>
> Actually, it WAS what I was trying to do.  I wanted to >upgrade gnome2-lite
> and all the packages it required, because gnome2-lite is >a meta-port.

If you're trying to upgrade a large bunch of ports like gnome,
you may want to start by running portupgrade on the
required libraries.  For example, although I usually install
XFree86-4 via the meta-port, when I want to upgrade it, I
generally run 'portupgrade -r XFree86-4-libraries', which first
upgrades the libs, then all the ports (including the rest of
the XFree86 stuff) that require XFree86-4-libraries.  YMMV.

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate