Linux kernel on FreeBSD

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Dec 10 10:01:03 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 12:16:49PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Jeff Lawlor wrote:

> > > Cisco VPN.
> >
> > Port:   vpnc-0.3.2
> > Info:   Client for Cisco 3000 VPN Concentrator
> > Maint:  delta at lackas.net
> > B-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 gmake-3.80_2 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> > R-deps: expat-1.95.8 gettext-0.13.1_1 libgcrypt-1.2.0_1
> > libgpg-error-1.0_1 libiconv-1.9.2_1 perl-5.8.5
> >

> > This one? I have no idea what this thread is about, but that's in ports.
> > Wouldn't Linux emulation work anyway?
>
> I think it was sort of a newbie question from someone who has yet to
> learn about ports and also the Linux emulation available in FreeBSD.

First, I don't consider myself a newbie, but I do have a lot less
experience with freebsd than linux.  And I don't think this idea is that
impractical, but maybe just not that useful as a better answer might
just be a more bsd-like distro like slackware, but I think even
slackware likes to use bash as it's main shell.

> First they seemed to think they would have to somehow import the Linux
> kernel in to FreeBSD somehow to run a Lunix driver, showing unfamiliarity
> with the Linux emulation already there that allows Lunix stuff to be run.

Does linux emulation allow me to run the usb visor driver on freebsd or
enable me to use the latest ati 3d graphics driver available for linux?
If there's a way than tell me.  The linux emulation is just for running
linux binaries like doom 3 which it does very well, but it doesn't help
in kernel space.

> Then they did not seem to know about the vpnc (or other stuff) already in
> ports to perform the function[s] they want.   I have to admit, searching
> /usr/ports can be a bit time consuming and tedius if you get started on
> a wrong track.

I never brought up vpnc or anything about vpns, that was someone else,
but I did mention the freebsd kernel seems to be lacking some hw support
that linux does not, and that's a much harder problem to fix then trying
to get linux software to run on freebsd.  There isn't really any
replacement in ports that I can find for my realtek card or my sony
clie, both of which were given to me, not specifically my choice.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C