mysql connect problems

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Fri Dec 10 09:08:31 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:07:17 -0500, John DeStefano wrote
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:09:20 +0100, Jorn Argelo <jorn at wcborstel.nl> wrote:
> > You have to make sure that the user has access to login. Unless you are
using
> > this database on an important machine, you can always change the root
password
> > like this:
> >
> > set password = password("yournewpassword");
> >
> > Like that, you won't have problems with permissions and such, but people
who
> > put security at a top priority will not like this method.
>
> I logged into mysql as root over a PuTTy/SSH connection and performed
> this command, specifying a new password.  But the result was "Query
> OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)".

That is good, because you changed your password now :)

> I believe this is because there are
> multiple 'root' entries in the user table with different 'host'
> values.  I was able to change these values when I specified which
> entry I wanted to change:
>
> mysql> UPDATE user SET password=PASSWORD(''new_password')
>     -> WHERE user='root' and host='host_entry';
>
> > > Yes: I'm running 5.0.0-alpha (at least that's what I get back from
> > > "mysqladmin -u root -p version").  So, do you recommend I try to
> > > remove those extra root entries?
> >
> > It's probably the best thing not to touch anything regarding the MySQL
> > configuration unless you're sure what you're doing.
>
> Are these extra root user entries in the mysql database, which I
> believe I've entered myself while trying different solutions,
> considered part of the MySQL configuration?

Ah. I was not aware that you entered users yourself. Then you should delete
the amends you made yourself.

> "select user, password, host from user;" on 'mysql' returned 3 'root'
> entries using 2 different passwords (localhost, %, and the actual
> host name), 2 anon entries (localhost and host name), 2 'mtuser' entries
> (one on localhost w/o pw, one on '%'), and one 'wikiuser' entry
> (localhost w/o pw).  I changed the root passwords so they all use the
> same one, and changed the 'mtuser' entry that didn't have a password
> so its password matches that of the other entry.

Have you issued the command similair like GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO
'youruser at localhost';

See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/GRANT.html for more info.