When to use 'portupgrade -R'

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
Fri Dec 10 08:39:37 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 05:08:44PM +0100, Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
: Hmm, I am afraid your question is a bit general ...

I've tried the '-R' option before, and ended up with portupgrade telling me
I had stale dependencies, and I never can get those fixed right.  Maybe I
should just stop using that option.

: Anyway:
: /usr/ports/UPDATING will inform you about problematic or
: necessary upgrades.
: I guess reading this before portupgrade will usually keep you out
: of trouble.

I know Gnome/gtk often has had issues, but since I'm jettisoning Gnome for
xfce, I won't have nearly as many Gnome components to worry about.

jm
--
My other computer is your Windows box.