Why would a -pX release cause problems?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri Dec 10 07:20:53 PST 2004

Tuc <tuc at ttsg.com> writes:

>         I did a little more investigation of the problem with nVidia on
> 5.2.1-RELEASE-pX where X is higher than 4.......
>
>         It turns out that after hand applying patches, once I apply the
> "msync5.patch" that was p9, my nVidia X starts to have problems and lock up.
> Once I back this out, the machine operates properly.  I also ran into problems
> where programs were coreing on Signal 6's.... SSH became useless, perl would
> fall over randomly, etc.
>
>         This patch was all of 6 new lines, one changed line, but I can swap
> back and forth and know that this will cause my machine to misbehave/crash.
>
>         Is there any way to start talking to someone to figure out what the
> cause is and maybe have a change done?

You're hand-applying patches on a "technology preview" version of the
base system.  You could try talking to NVidia, but if you just want
things to work on FreeBSD and you're not a programmer, I'd really
recommend that you upgrade to FreeBSD 5.3 and install the NVidia
driver from the ports collection.  At least as a start.