RTL8139 Carbus Card fails to activate

Jan Christian Meyer janchris at stud.ntnu.no
Fri Dec 10 02:33:39 PST 2004

Greetings!

> I have a 10/100 fast ethernet carbus card that uses the realtek 8139
> chipset that I'd like to use with FreeBSD.  I have 5.3-RELEASE
> installed on a PIII Celeron in a Compaq Presario Laptop.
> The card is reconized and the rl driver seems to load, but fails to map
> the card's memory or i/o ports.  Here is the appropriate kernel
> messages:
>
> cbb alloc res fail
> cardbus0: Can't get memory for IO ports
> cbb alloc res fail
> re0: couldn't map ports/memory
> cbb alloc res fail
> rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
> cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
> cbb0: CardBus card activation failed

I upgraded my laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook C4355) to 5.3 this week,
and had the same problem. My card started working when i disabled ACPI. I
don't have a sufficiently pointy hat to tell you _why_ this happened...
It shouldn't be like that, separate parts of the system, mumble grumble,
but in the spirit of empirical observation: It Worked For Me.

YMMV, disclaimer, small print, etc.

> I think rl is the one I need.

I think you're right.

Good luck,