Why would a -pX release cause problems?

Tuc tuc at ttsg.com
Thu Dec 9 20:37:35 PST 2004

Hi,

        I did a little more investigation of the problem with nVidia on
5.2.1-RELEASE-pX where X is higher than 4.......

        It turns out that after hand applying patches, once I apply the
"msync5.patch" that was p9, my nVidia X starts to have problems and lock up.
Once I back this out, the machine operates properly.  I also ran into problems
where programs were coreing on Signal 6's.... SSH became useless, perl would
fall over randomly, etc.

        This patch was all of 6 new lines, one changed line, but I can swap
back and forth and know that this will cause my machine to misbehave/crash.

        Is there any way to start talking to someone to figure out what the
cause is and maybe have a change done?

                        Thanks, Tuc