i386 & amd64

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Thu Dec 9 15:19:06 PST 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:05:37 +0100, Albert Shih wrote
> Hi all
>
> My news computer just arrive ;-) The cpu is a AMD 64 FX 55.
>
> I've try to install FreeBSD 53-amd64 but the hard drive is SATA and the
> boot hang when he detect the drive.
>
> The install work with FreeBSD 53-i386.
>
> I think i can, with many effort, find a another DD with IDE
> interface, but my question is : If I install amd64 version where is
> the difference between i386 ? Well I forgot to say : I'm not
> programer, i'm just use : vi, mozilla, tex... Whit this very
> standard applications (and I think this application is not re-write
> to use 64 bits cpu) are there some difference betwen 386 version and
> amd64 ?

Well, some things that are keeping me from the AMD64 version of FreeBSD is the
lack of support for several programs. Including cvsup, and I don't know any
other way to sync the ports-tree or the kernel sources. But that was with 5.2.
1. I am not sure if FreeBSD still lacks cvsup.

Other then that, there are not that much differences AFAIK. The Athlon64 FX-55
is capable of running a 32 bit OS without any problems. Note that AMD64 is an
architecture, and Athlon64 is a processor ;)

Cheers,

Jorn