ncplist s kernel panic on 5.3-Release

Feczak Szabolcs feczo at siodigit.hu
Thu Dec 9 08:56:33 PST 2004

Im having problems with ncpfs on 5.3-release ...
The problem was noticed after a 4.10 to 5.3 upgrade.
I have installed another 5.3 from scratch and recompiled the stock
GENERIC config with IPX support as follows:

/sys/i386/conf/IPX

include GENERIC
options IPX

issued the make kernel in the /usr/src after cvsup to 5.3-RELEASE-p2
after reboot

installed the latest ncplib-1.3.4 from ports

ifconfig xl0 ipx 0x8020001

kldload ncp

ncplist s

I got then:

fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc062bb7a
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd0850bb8
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd0850bb8
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 479 (ncplist)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

The server on the other side of the network is a Novel Netware 4.11
default install with nds and bindery enabled.
If I do not configure the convinient ipx network on xl0
I got  ncplist s
Can't find any file server
without kernel panic

Any thoughts on this ?