Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

orville weyrich weyrich_comp at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 9 07:06:36 PST 2004

See below
--- Toomas Aas <toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee> wrote:
> I once had a problem with *invalid* vinum drive
> which was solved
> following this advice from Greg Lehey:
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?V29425BF9

So the procedure that worked for you was???

resetconfig
create original.config.file

I have seen alusions to this procedure, and was
planning to try it as a last resort (last because of
the dire warnings that are associated with
resetconfig).  Nowhere however have I seen the above
two lines explicitly juxtaposed, so I have been
reluctant to try it.

Before I try the above, I had an idea last night that
I want to try: I will buy a large, cheap IDE drive
(big enough to hold an entire plex) and ADD it to my
configuration (with all subdisks on the IDE drive).
At this point, I expect to be able to sync all
subdisks of the IDE plex against one or the other of
the existing plexi to obtain a completely functional
plex, at which point my RAID should come alive for me
to back it up.

Does this plan seem workable?