Two versions of ruby == problem?

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Thu Dec 9 06:02:32 PST 2004

* Roger Merritt <mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th> [1210 09:10]:
> After doing a cvsup on one of my machines I like to run 'portversion -c >
> needs.update' to see what needs updating. If the output is small enough I
> might try doing 'portupgrade -a', but usually I go through the list one by
> one to set the flags I think portupgrade will need for that case. This time
> I was a little surprised to find two entries for ruby:
>
> #
> #  ruby
> #  needs updating (port has 1.6.8.2004.07.28_1)
> #
> pkgs="$pkgs ruby-1.6.8.2004.07.28"
>
> #
> #  ruby
> #  needs updating (port has 1.8.2.p2_2)
> #
> pkgs="$pkgs ruby-1.8.2.p2_1"
>
> I don't know how I got two versions installed, but more importantly I
> wonder if this is a problem? Should I deinstall one or the other?

I'd imagine you installed an old port that was hardcoded to depend on ruby16,
if you pkg_deinstall the 16 version it should warn you what was using it.

> I deinstall both and reinstall one (I suppose 1.8.2.p2_2 is the most
> recent)? Or should I just go ahead and upgrade both?

I'd get rid of 16 unless you have a real need for it, 1.8 is a lot faster in
my experience.

--
Ugh, it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's throwing up. - Fry