RTL8139 Carbus Card fails to activate

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Wed Dec 8 23:49:45 PST 2004

I sent a request for help on this problem earlier, but with no luck in
solving it.  Now that I have some more information about it and a better
understanding I hope this problem can be fixed.  I have a 10/100 fast
ethernet carbus card that uses the realtek 8139 chipset that I'd like to
use with FreeBSD.  I have 5.3-RELEASE installed on a PIII Celeron in a
Compaq Presario Laptop.  The card is reconized and the rl driver seems
to load, but fails to map the card's memory or i/o ports.  Here is the
appropriate kernel messages:

cbb alloc res fail
cardbus0: Can't get memory for IO ports
cbb alloc res fail
re0: couldn't map ports/memory
cbb alloc res fail
rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
cardbus0: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
cbb0: CardBus card activation failed

Intrestingly, it looks like two different realtek drivers are trying to
access it, re and rl.  Can this cause a problem and is there a way to
determine the correct driver for it?  I think rl is the one I need.
Here's pciconf -vl for the card:

none3 at pci2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x813910ec chip=0x813910ec rev=0x10
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device   = 'RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

Also, /dev/card0 does not exist, is this a legacy item from 4.x and
earlier.  If so, then pccardd and pccardc are also no longer needed?

It seems like somewhere I saw a similar problem with another cardbus
card and the solution was to set some sysctl like allow_unsupported
something or another in the loader at boot.

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C