Sorry for the newbie questions :(

Eric Schuele e.schuele at computer.org
Wed Dec 8 22:32:57 PST 2004

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>I read a lot about cvsup and other stuff, but it seems very confusing to
>>me. I cannot understand the whole picture.
>>My question is: how can i "import" a *single* port ?
>

> You cannot do this safely, because how do you know which other "single
> ports" must also be updated along with it in order for it to be
> buildable?

I'm relatively new so please bear with me....

I have installed 5.3-RELEASE ... and did a 'make install clean' for all
ports of interest.  Then firefox and thunderbird (for example) came out
with v1.0.  So I did a 'make deinstall clean' for each.  Downloaded the
newest version of the contents of those directories from freebsd.org
(using browser b4 I deinstalled and placed in temp dir) and copied it in
there myself.  The did a 'make install clean' for each.  But... given
your comments above... am I headed for disaster down the road if I
continue to 'upgrade' ports in this fasion?

Thanks,
--
Regards,
Eric