mlock error: not setgid mail

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Dec 8 07:23:33 PST 2004

In the last episode (Dec 08), Vonleigh Simmons said:
> >In the last episode (Dec 07), Vonleigh Simmons said:
> >>	After updating to 5.3 I'm running into the following, I'm
> >>	getting the following error in my mail log over and over:
> >>
> >>usr/local/libexec/mlock[755]: (64) not setgid mail
>
> 	I rebuilt imap-uw with -DWITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT, so I don't think
> that's it. Here are my permissions for mlock, they match yours:
>
> -rwx--s--x  1 root  mail  5808 Dec  6 21:48 /usr/local/libexec/mlock
>
> 	Anyone have any other ideas?

The code that does the check is this:

  struct group *grp = getgrnam ("mail");
  if (!grp || (grp->gr_gid != getegid ())) die ("not setgid mail",EX_USAGE);

The only way I can see that failing is if getgrnam() failed to look up
the "mail" group, or if the gid of mlock doesn't match the gid returned
by getgrnam().  Is it possible you have two "mail" groups?  Compare the
output of "ls -ln" and your /etc/groups file.  Splitting that if() into
two parts with separate error messages will also tell you which test is
failing.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com