Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Wed Dec 8 02:53:04 PST 2004

Scott, your procedure is what I have used, except for:

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:09:05AM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> 6. Tell vinum to restart the failed subdisk:
>
> 	# vinum start raid.p0.s0
>
> 7. Wait ages while the new disk is 'revived'.
>
> I was quite impressed that the volume remained available with users
> accessing it throughout this procedure :-)

Yes I was too -- however I wasn't as impressed with the fact that I had parity
errors afterwards. Have you run 'vinum checkparity' after these rebuilds?  In
my case I suffered data corruption...

AFAIK the only way to guarantee a consistent rebuild is to do it offline (at
least in 4.x, haven't tested gvinum in 5.x yet).

> To play it safe you might want to unmount the volume before starting.

I *have* to.

--Stijn

--
"Coca-Cola is solely responsible for ensuring that people - too stupid to know
not to tip half-ton machines on themselves - are safe. Forget parenting - the