your mail

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Dec 7 16:57:48 PST 2004

> HI
> I was wondering if I could get instructions on how to uninstall free bsd.
> It's on my computer and I dont' know how to use it so I was going to just
> unistall it but I  can't seem to figure it out.

Well, I can't recommend that course of action.  Much better to learn
how to use it.

But, if you absolutely must, then the way to uninstall it is to
install whatever else you plan to use over the top of it.  The
reinstallation will wipe out whatever is already there.  eg, you
don't really uninstall it.   You replace it.   With it merely
uninstalled you have nothing.  Just an inert box of non-functioning
electronics with no reasonable way to use it.

If the box was set up as a dual-boot so that it has, say MS Win XP
and FreeBSD, then you would need to use a utility that would let
you repartition the disk.  For that sort of thing, I have had
good luck with Partition Magic (though I have used it to turn MS
space in to FreeBSD space, not vice versa, it will work either way).
Just boot up your MS Win XP or whatever and follow the instructions
that come with Partition Magic to make the floppies.   Then boot from
the floppies and tell it to convert the FreeBSD slice - which it will
not have a name for - in to a FAT23 partition.   Alternatively, you
can have it delete the slice and then have it grow the Win partition
to use up the space.   If it has Win XP on it, that partition will
be either a FAT32 or an NTFS type of partition.

Partition Magic is generally available from most stores like
Best Buy and online for around $70.

But, if you take the time to learn to use FreeBSD you will be muchly
rewarded and will feel like you are so severly confined with that
commercial "OS" issuing from the Northwest USA (MS Win xxx).

////jerry