Sorry for the newbie questions :(

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Tue Dec 7 16:05:08 PST 2004

begin  quotation of Mário Gamito on 2004-12-07 23:59:33 +0000:

> 1. I've instaled FreeBSD 5.3 and compiled portaudit as the first port.
> Portaudit didn't allow me to install apache13-modssl because there is a
> security problem with the port that comes in the CD.
> How can i then install apache13-modssl ?

cvsup your ports tree.

> 2. I want to install PostgreSQL 8.
> The port version that is on the CD is 8 beta2, but i see in
> www.freebsd.org that there is already a port for 8 beta4.
> How can i "import" this new port ?

cvsup your ports tree.

> I read a lot about cvsup and other stuff, but it seems very confusing to
> me. I cannot understand the whole picture.
> My question is: how can i "import" a *single* port ?

Common practice is to cvsup most of the ports tree.  The example cvsup
documents how to exclude subdirectories of ports you're not going to
use (for example, all ports of a different language).  If you just
want to import a single port, you could either refine your cvsup file
so as to only grab that port, or you could browse the CVS repository
via the web and grab the appropriate files to place in your ports
tree.

You should, however, probably just cvsup your ports tree.  The example
cvsup file is your friend, as is the Handbook section on CVSup.

> 3. Where can i find information about supported hardware ?
> Namely SATA controlers ?
> Does FreeBSD suport the Intel ones ?

Look in the Handbook.