Upgrade problems

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Dec 6 15:27:16 PST 2004

*Please* don't top-post.

"Marta Resende" <martarese at hotmail.com> writes:

> Basiclly, i disable all that i dont need, and keep all first options ,
> cause i didnt new at the first if it was any commented option that was
> provocing these block in boot.
> there's anything i commented that i shouldn't?? because the only
> option is a bad kernel config, because it stops working after
> upgrading.
> At the first i think at pseudo-devices, but i just commented sl pp and
> tun, wich is needed only for ppp and i have cable connection,
>
> thanks:
>
> kernel config:
>
> machine i386
> cpu I686_CPU
> ident MYKERNEL
>
> options SCHED_4BSD
> options INET
> options INET6
> options FFS
> options SOFTUPDATES
> options UFS_ACL
> options UFS_DIRHASH
> options MD_ROOT
> options NFSCLIENT
> options NFSSERVER
> options NFS_ROOT
> options MSDOSFS
> options CD9660
> options PROCFS
> options PSEUDOFS
> options GEOM_PT
> options COMPAT_43
> options COMPAT_FREEBSD4
> options SCSI_DELAY=15000
> options KTRACE
> options SYSVSHM
> options SYSVMSG
> options SYSVSEM
> options _KPOSIX_PRIORIY_SCHEDULING
> options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV
> options AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
> options AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT
> options ADAPTIVE_GIANT
>
> device isa
> device pci
>
> device ata
> device atadisk
> device ataraid
> device atapicd
> device atapifd
> device ATA_STATIC_ID
>
> device atkbdc
> device atkbd
> device psm
>
> device vga
>
> device splash
>
> device sc
>
> device agp
>
> device npx
>
> device pmtimer
>
> device sio
>
> device device ppc
> device ppbus
> device plip
> device vpo
>
> device miibus
> device rl
>
> device loop
> device mem
> device io
> device random
> device ether
> device pty
> device md
> device gif
> device faith
> device bpf

This doesn't compile, even after fixing the obvious typos, so it
clearly is not the kernel configuration file you were using.  If the
GENERIC kernel works, you can always use that.  If you really want to
cut unnecessary configuration elements, you can do them a few at a
time until you start having problems, and then you'll have a pretty
good idea where the problems came from.  If you want to experiment
with NFS, the GENERIC kernel contains everything you need.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/