vinum limits disk size to 255MB

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Sun Dec 5 17:14:29 PST 2004

Greg 'groggy' Lehey writes:
 > You don't say whether you're using vinum or gvinum.  I've never seen
 > this problem before, but if you're getting incorrect subdisk sizes,
 > try specifying them explicitly:
 >
 >  sd length 35840952s drive ibma
 >
 > I wonder whether the problem is related to specifying the size as 0m
 > instead of 0.  It shouldn't be.

Actually I've never heard of gvinum, so I'm pretty sure we're looking
at vinum here.

Looks like this is an odd pilot error. If I label disks from within
sysinstall and on the command line, one tool apparently doesn't know
what the other is doing. This must be a gross misunderstanding on my
side of how these tools work. Using bsdlabel to set the partition
sizes apparently is not sufficient. To make a long story short, I went
back to sysinstall, created a partition using the full disk, then went
to bsdlabel -e to turn the partition into type vinum. Now I get the
full capacity.

I still can't make a raid5 out of these drives. I'm still fiddling and
will get back to the list if I can't figure this out myself.

Thanks anyway for your prompt answer.

Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka at cats.de
(Spam-protected email: replace the quadrupeds with "mhoenicka")
http://www.mhoenicka.de