FreeBSD or OpenBSD

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Sun Dec 5 14:54:49 PST 2004

* Damien Hull <dhull at digitaloverload.net> [1247 21:47]:
> I've been a FreeBSD user for a while now and I love it. I'm running 4.10
> and plan on upgrading soon. I'm also an OpenBSD user but I tend to use
> it for firewalls and routers. I setup Apache and Subversion on OpenBSD
> 3.6 last week. This is the first time I have ever done anything other
> then a firewall on OpenBSD.
>
> I'm thinking about using OpenBSD on more servers. Before I do that I
> would like to know what people on the list think.
>
> Why I want to switch to OpenBSD.
> 1. OpenBSD has good security
> 2. Stable
> 3. Firewall and routing support is built in

None of that is any better in openbsd, at least in my experience.
pf would have been a seller, but all three bsds have that now.

In my experience (of openbsd 3.6) you have less ported software, the system
is slower, the installer is primitive, kernel/world compiles are difficult...
and there's no portupgrade, which is really what brought me back to freebsd from
netbsd. I really don't understand what all the fuss is about with openbsd, smells like
marketing to me...

(no, I don't want to get into a long 'your os is lamer than mine' scrum, thanks.
This is my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.)

--
Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody. - Bender