Building world in 5.x vs 4.x?

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Dec 5 08:28:49 PST 2004

I'm building a tets machine to explore 5.3 before tackling the job of
changing over a production machine from 4-STABLE.

I've installed (minimal system) and cvsupd the 5-RELENG sources. I plan on
just doing my first 5.x build with the GENERIC kernel. I've looked at the
MAKEFIL, and the README in /usr/src. but I still find myself a bit confused
about the differences in build methodology.

I've used the follwing for years on 4.x:

1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
2.  `make buildworld'
3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
prompt).
6.  `mergemaster -p'
7.  `make installworld'
8.  `mergemaster'
9.  `reboot'

What;s the equivelant set of steps in 5.x?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin