can't mount windows partition

Kevin Smith smithcam at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 1 21:06:50 PST 2004

Rizal Ferdiyan wrote:

>hello ;
>my name rizal from indonesia, I have a problem. My partition windows
>(FAT
>32) can't mount
>in freebsd. My partition in /dev/ad0s1 and /dev/ad0s2. I have been try
>write"mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad0s1(ad0s2) /mnt/win1(ad0s1) and
>mount_msdosfs /node " but it don't work. Please help me and sorry for my
>bad english.
>
>thank you.

Rizal,

You can set all this up very easily in your fstab file instead of typing
the command to mount the file systems (unless you just want access it
temporarily).

Here are the entries that I have in my /etc/fstab:

/dev/ad0s1 /windows/C ntfs ro 2 0
/dev/ad0s3 /windows/E msdosfs rw 0 0

(You don't need the "2", it can be "0")

You need to create the directories for the mount points (/windows/C and
/windows/E). The partition in /dev/ad0s3 is my FAT32 partition which is
the writable one - you don't want the ntfs filesystem to be
writable.....if you want the FAT32 (msdosfs) parition to be writeable,
then /windows/E must be a writable mount directory. You of course,
should use your own device (/dev/ad0s*) names as they are going to be
different from mine.

Once you have these in your /etc/fstab they will automatically mount on
boot (as configured this way). If you don't want to reboot after editing
the file, you can always just do a :

 > mount /windows/E

To manually mount...or

 > umount /windows/E to umount it.

The configuration I have just described is how I wanted to set it up on
my system, but others may have different opinions/setups.

Good luck.
-Kevin