Answers: Keeping FreeBSD Up-To-Date

Richard Bejtlich taosecurity at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:06:40 PST 2004

Here's (hopefully) some answers for once, rather than more questions!

I am happy to announce the publication at TaoSecurity.com of 'Keeping
FreeBSD Up-To-Date':

http://www.taosecurity.com/keeping_freebsd_up-to-date.html

I wrote this article to answer questions I've received over the past
few months on how to apply security fixes to a FreeBSD system. While
the official Handbook is excellent, I thought a case-study approach
would be enlightening for some readers.

I thought it would be interesting to see a box begin life as FreeBSD
5.2.1 RELEASE, and then progress through a variety of security fixes
applied in different ways. The article's sections include:

- Introduction
- FreeBSD Versions
- Learning About Security Issues
- Starting with the Installation
- Binary OS and Userland Updates with FreeBSD Update
- Applying Kernel Patches Manually
- Applying Userland Patches Manually, Part 1
- Applying Userland Patches Manually, Part 2
- CVSup to 5_2 Security Branch
- Beyond the Security Branch
- STABLE: The End of the Line
- The "Next" STABLE