convert from scsi to IDE

J.D. Bronson jbronson at wixb.com
Wed Dec 1 12:07:58 PST 2004

At 02:02 PM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
>OK, but I think you are missing something in what I wrote. Once your tape
>backup is finished shutdown and install the IDE drives. Let it continue to
>boot your SCSI, which I presume also has the FreeBSD boot blocks
>installed. Use sysinstall on your current system to partition, format, and
>write boot blocks on the IDE drive(s). Mount the IDE drive(s) somewhere.
>Then you can use dump(8) piped into restore(8) directly from HD to HD.

This is cool, but my machine NEEDS to boot off of IDE. There is no way
around this - even in the bios. :(

So If I install IDE+SCSI, IDE will always win the boot. Even if its blank
then I get MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM

and it will NOT seek other devices.

I can however boot off floppy and/or IDE CDROM at least :)

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA