mustek scanner Bearpaw 1200TA : Operation not supported

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Wed Dec 1 04:41:13 PST 2004

Lin Tzu-yau wrote:

>I have tried for days ,but still not working
>
>1. dmesg message
>uscanner0: Mustek Systems USB Scanner, rev 1.10/1.00,
>addr 2
>
>2. proper firmware
>/usr/local/share/sane/gt68xx
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8118 12  1 11:46 A1fw.usb
>
>3. test scannerscanimage -L
>device `gt68xx:/dev/uscanner0' is a Mustek BearPaw
>1200 TA flatbed scanner
>
>4. not working?
>scanimage > /tmp/test
>scanimage: open of device gt68xx:/dev/uscanner0
>failed: Operation not supported
>
>Can someone give me any advice for make it work?
>Thanks for your reply first

This may be overly basic, but do you as the user have permissions to
access the scanner device?

I am not an expert here(couldn't get my own Compaq to work during the
brief time I fiddled with it), and I'm not even sure what permissions
you'd need, but you might need write permission to actually send the
scanner commands, which if you're running as other than root you don't
have. If you're in wheel, try setting group write permissions on the
device(chmod 755 /dev/uscanner0 for a test? and in the device hints file
to have it remembered for the future).

-BB