Problems upgrading from 5.2.1-RELEASE-P9 to 5.3-RELEASE

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Dec 1 02:38:13 PST 2004

Hi folks,

I've been trying to upgrade my 5.2.1-P9 server to 5.3, but when I try to build
the kernel it says:

ERROR: version of config(8) does not match kernel!
config version = 500012, version required = 500013

Make sure that /usr/src/usr.sbin/config is in sync
with your /usr/src/sys and install a new config binary
before trying this again.

If running the new config fails check your config
file against the GENERIC or LINT config files for
changes in config syntax, or option/device naming
conventions

So my friend google told me that I should do a make buildworld first. When I
do that, it spits out this:

cc -O -pipe -I. -I/usr/src/usr.sbin/config  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/
usr/include -c /usr/src/usr.sbin/config/mkoptions.c
make: don't know how to make /destdir/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

I haven't tried to upgrade to P-12 yet, should I do that first before
upgrading to 5.3?

And another question, I've been trying to recompile a 5.3-RELEASE kernel with
pcm and sbc support. However, now it says that the device is unkown. But it
always worked fine on a 5.2.1 machine. So what happened? Was it removed or
something? I've been using kldload snd_maestro3.ko as well (which is the right
driver for an ESS maestro I guess), but that doesn't seem to work. There is
still no /dev/pcm0 after running the command.

Thanks for the help,

Jorn.