ntpd as broadcastclient - not working?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Aug 31 19:19:57 PDT 2004

At 03:57 PM 8/31/2004, W. D. wrote:

> >>It's the internal, NAT address, that my DHCP server/router
> >>assigned to the Windows box that is sending out NTP
> >>broadcast signals on port 123.
> >

> >That doesn't really matter. What address is it broadcasting on?
>
>255.255.255.255

Why would you be trying to broadcast to everyone in the world?
Try 192.168.2.255. If it's not on the same subnet it would need
to be a different address.

>However, Tardis can be configured to broadcast on
>any address.  What is/are the recommended IP
>address(es)?

No it can't. There are only (relatively) few broadcast addresses and
the routers have to support them or it will drop the packets if they
are not link local.

Danny