3Com Etherlink III ISA support [was Question]

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Tue Aug 31 00:04:56 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, stheg olloydson wrote:

> >>I used that card in 2.2.2. (My first FBSD install!) As I remember, I
> >>had to run a 3Com DOS utility to set the physical parameters
> >>manually. Then I configured FreeBSD to use those settings.
> >>I would think later versions would support that card, as well. You
> >>probably just need to do what I did. If you don't have the 3Com
> >>disk, you can download what you need from their site.
>
> Hello,
>
> Please keep the list in the loop.
> Hold on there! I didn't say to run 2.2.2. It was nice back in the day,
> but if you were to run it now, the Huns would sack your village. What I
> meant to communicate is you should use the 3Com software to configure
> the NIC manually and then enter that configuration - if needed - when
> setting up your interface.

Hi!

Well, I once also used an old 509b, it had to be manually set up via DOS
bootdisk, it turned out to be best practice to set it to manual IRQ
configuration, so that you know what you have turned, you also had to
set IIRC the right connector manually.

those cards are supported via the ep(4) driver, xl(4), as stated in
another posting, is for PCI cards.

These cards can be a pain, they only support half duplex and can easily
hook a system when the get lots of broadcast...

Otherwise, in recent versions of FreeBSD the ep driver should have been
improved, so I suggest trying a recent 4.10-Release on that box.

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)