Which disk is which

John summer at computerdatasafe.com.au
Mon Aug 30 15:00:28 PDT 2004

Jerry McAllister wrote:
>>I've booted a 5.2.1 miniinstall CD and got to the point where I choose which
>>disk to install onto.
>>
>>My choices are
>>ad0
>>da0
>>
>>Great. How do I know which disk is which?
>

> OK  ad0 would be the first ide drive and da0 would be the first SCSI
> drive or maybe the first USB drive.

Thanks Jerry

>>                      _I_ could work it out if the panel
>>displayed information such as
>>Brand
>>Capacity
>>
>>Note: DOS names would be worse than useless because I don't use DOS, and the
>>BIOS doesn't detect all my drives.
>

> If your BIOS doesn't detect your drives you have problems to deal
> with before you get to installing FreeBSD.
>

>>The website doesn't help.
>>
>>I'm not on any list. Please respond by
>>a) Fixing the web page
>>b) Mailing me the necessary info (eg the fixed page when it's done) in case I
>>can't discover by other means which is which.
>

> Try not giving orders to volunteers.  It is tacky and won't get
> you anywhere.    Maybe you should learn enough to fix the DOC yourself
> and submit a change.

I'm new to FreeBSD and this is my first look at it. I think your
suggestion a little tacky.

I'm sorry that you felt I was giving orders, that was not my intent. In
my defence though, as I said in another post, thought I was talking
directly to someone responsible for the content, and explaining that I
find that content confusing.