determine X windows version from command line

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Mon Aug 30 14:29:33 PDT 2004

I've been massaging UberMon for SuperKaramba for my FreeBSD systems.

I'd like to be able to run a command that will yield which X window system is
installed and what version.

I've done it with something like startx -- -version, but this is problematic
if X windows is running (which is the scenario I need it to work in).

Even then, I'd have to grep for "XFree86 Version" so it isn't a general
solution that would work for systems already switched to x-org.

Any deas?