ntpd as broadcastclient - not working?

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Sun Aug 29 21:54:21 PDT 2004

At 06:04 8/29/2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>Re ntpd as broadcastclient - n1.ems<file://D:\Programs\Eudora\attach\Re ntpd as broadcastclient - n1.ems <0880.0002>>
>
>On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:07:16AM -0500, W. D. wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I have Tardis (Windows) running on my network broadcasting NTP
>> time signals (right now every 4 seconds), but the
>> FreeBSD machine is running 5 seconds faster than
>> all the other computers.
>>

>> Here are the lines that I added to /etc/rc.conf:
>>
>> xntpd_enable="YES"
>> xntpd_flags="-A -c /etc/ntp.conf -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -l /var/log/ntpd.log"
>>
>> (Both 'top' and 'ps -aux' show ntpd running after I rebooted.
>>

>> Here are the lines that I added to /etc/ntp.conf:
>>
>> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
>> broadcastclient
>>

>> Does anyone have some ideas why it isn't synching up?
>
>Don't you need to use ntp.keys in order to synch to a broadcast or
>multicast server?
>
>See ntp.conf(5):
>
>     broadcastclient
>             This command enables reception of broadcast server messages to
>             any local interface (type b) address.  Upon receiving a message
>             for the first time, the broadcast client measures the nominal
>             server propagation delay using a brief client/server exchange
>             with the server, then enters the broadcast client mode, in which
>             it synchronizes to succeeding broadcast messages.  Note that, in
>             order to avoid accidental or malicious disruption in this mode,
>             both the server and client should operate using symmetric-key or
>             public-key authentication as described in Authentication Options.
>
>        Cheers,
>
>        Matthew

Thanks Matthew for your reply.

My 'man ntpd' page gives the -A option to turn off authentication:

-A Disable authentication mode

(http://www.Google.com/search?q=%22-A+Disable+authentication+mode%22)

As far as I can tell, there is no way to enable authentication
using Tardis.  I was hoping that there would be a simple solution
utilizing Tardis, since it works great on Windows.

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/
$8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/