cannot install KDE3 or KDE-LITE from ports

mailist at whoweb.com mailist at whoweb.com
Sat Aug 28 06:14:46 PDT 2004

I downloaded ports.tar.gz August 26, 2004 and am currently
building KDE3.  I did not run into an error with that particular
file, however the graphics/ImageMagick Makefile and distinfo
file defined 6.0.5.3 as the version it wanted to download.
There is no such version at ImageMagick.org and the KDE3
build would fail at that point.  I downloaded 6.0.6.2 and edited
the Makefile and distinfo files appropriately, and am now
continuing with the KDE3 build.

By the way, building KDE from source is an excrutiatingly
long process (more than 5 hours so far) with numerous menus
requiring human response to continue, and of course the
occasional error as described above.  Unless you really need
to compile from source (I didn't, I just wanted to try it) use the
binary.