vi editor related question

Parv parv at pair.com
Fri Aug 27 17:44:17 PDT 2004

in message <34b425c50408271652314776b1 at mail.gmail.com>, wrote
Soo-Hyun Choi thusly...

> I edit ... certain text editor under Windows XP, and then I open
> ... using vi editor under FreeBSD. Then, there are bunch of "^M"
> sign at the end of each line. Does anyone know why this is
> happening?

Cause is the default line ending on Windows being different than on
Unix/FreeBSD.

> And, does anyone can tell me how to avoid this kind of things?

Use an editor on Windows that saves the file as w/ Unix line ending.
Or, use an editor on FreeBSD, like vim 6 from the ports, that will
hide/change '^M' characters.

Other methods is to preprocess your files...

  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=remove+%5EM+file
  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=remove+%5EM+group%3Acomp.*

  - Parv