editing the rc.conf

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Aug 27 10:24:47 PDT 2004

Ruben de Groot wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 05:04:08PM +0100, Soo-Hyun Choi typed:
>

>>A couple of people suggested to read the ifconfig man page. I do
>>understand the ifconfig, and I can change the IP settings using
>>ifconfig without re-booting the system.
>>
>>What I wondered was a way of editing rc.conf directly and how I can it
>>be working without re-boot the system. As Nikos suggested, it would
>>not be a good way if there is only one way to go for it by using
>>'shutdown now' command; as it kills all the running processes.
>>

>I believe in FreeBSD 5.x, soon to become -stable, all you need to
>do in this case is /etc/rc.d/netif restart
>
>Ruben

Also look at the "netstart" script in /etc/.

What the "man ifconfig" guys were trying to say was
something like this (using xl0 as an example interface):

$ifconfig xl0 down
$ifconfig xl0 new.ip.add.ress -options
$ifconfig xl0 up

However, if you're changing another setting
(like defaultrouter, etc.) you'll want to use one
of the scripts; that could be what you meant, I
guess ... although there are other ways to do
most of those things as well....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.