sendmail help needed!!!

Ed Budd ebudd at grokking.org
Fri Aug 27 05:04:16 PDT 2004

Hussain Umair wrote:
> hi all,
>    im tryin to get my bsd box to run as an email server on my local lan,
> squid is already running perfectly on that but my lan clients cannot
> retrieve their mails through pop or smtp...ive tried everything but im
> getting nowhere my bsd box has an ip 192.168.1.125 and the other one is
> a static given to me by my service provider ...now ive installed
> sendmail and qpopper but nothing seems to be working for me...and my lan
> users cannot recieve their mails from yahoo or hotmail on their outlook
> express...so kindly if any one has ne ideas to help me out here id b
> greatfull ...config's might help alot...thanks in advance...chao

First, take a deep breath. Then pour yourself a strong cup of coffee (or
whatever helps you stay lucid) and head over to http://www.sendmail.org
and do some serious reading. Start with the FAQ and the "Email
Explained" document so you understand the fundamentals and how the
different parts are supposed to work. Do the same for Qpopper.

Expect to invest considerable effort (read: time) into learning this.
Start by articulating precisely what you expect from your "mail server"
then come back here and ask a *specific* question that those with more
experience might be motivated to answer. Be prepared to provide details
on steps you've taken to install and configure the appropriate
components as well as specific error messages, contents of log files,
etc. that seem pertinent to troubleshooting your problem (as *you*
perceive it; hence the suggestion on "articulating expectations" above).

Remember: the quality of what you'll get back is (usually) directly
proportional to what you put in...

EB