cannot get rc.conf to configure an second interface

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 26 14:40:43 PDT 2004

Hello-

   I am trying to configure rc.conf to set up my second interface.  Right
now, I have these lines in the rc.conf file and when I boot the mahine,
fxp1 is not configured.  Also, it seems that that ipv6 is set up an I am
not sure how to disable it.  Here is my rc.conf entries that refer to the
network:

ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.102.14  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 192.168.102.15  netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="192.168.102.1"

   IS there thing else that I need to do to configure fxp1 to survive a
reboot?  One thing that happens when I configure the NIC with ifconfig is this:
bash-2.05b# ifconfig fxp1 192.168.102.15 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
what I end up needing to do is configure the IP and then the network,
separately.  I think that this error has something to do with my problem,
but I am not sure how to deal with that.  Any info that anyone ca lead me
to will be great.

thanks,
Bob