crontab question involving cvsup

kstewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Aug 26 13:48:22 PDT 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:15 pm, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2004 02:28 am, kstewart <kstewart at owt.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 August 2004 01:09 am, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> > > On Thursday 26 August 2004 12:42 am, epilogue
> > > <epilogue at allstream.net>

<snip>
> > cd /usr/ports
> > #
> > # make bzip2 backup and save 4 old ones for the days when make index
> > # is broken
> > #
> > rm INDEX.3.bz2
> > mv INDEX.2.bz2 INDEX.3.bz2
> > mv INDEX.1.bz2 INDEX.2.bz2
> > mv INDEX.0.bz2 INDEX.1.bz2
> > bzip2 -c INDEX > INDEX.0.bz2
> > #
> > # get new INDEX
> > #make index 2>&1 | tee /var/log/build/make-index-`date
> > "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log portindex 2>&1 | tee
> > /var/log/build/make-index-`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`.log #
> > #fetch www.freebsd.org/ports/INDEX
> > #chmod 644 INDEX
> > portsdb -u
>
> Excellent. Thanks so much for sending this, as this is just the sort of
> thing I need. I'll work on it a bit tonight to customize it for my
> system. I'm glad you posted this, as in searching the archives I
> noticed you've posted it before, but it's changed since the last time.

After I sent it, I noticed that in the past I had used fetch. I would now use
"make fetchindex" instead. With fetchindex, you don't have to modify the
permissions on INDEX to use it as a user.

When index builds are dying, it is a kind of moot point because I would resort
to one of my backed up versions and not fetch from FreeBSD anyway.

The output from a cron job can be pretty verbose at times and it all ends up
as an email. I typically run uports at 4am and 4pm. My cvsup mirror is
updated on the odd hours. Until I started using portindex, I used a job that
just did the cvsup section and created the html. I would fetch a local copy
of INDEX and INDEX.db from my test machine. That way only one machine spent
the time creating INDEX.

At this point, the test machine is using xorg-* and I have dropped my normal
machine back to using XFree86. So, I have to create INDEX on both machines.
There is a situation when xorg and KDE loses track of what keyboard and
layout you are using. KDE switched into using some form of Greek. At least
the letters appear to be from the Greek alphabet :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA