Change root user name? possible?

Jerold McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Aug 26 12:26:32 PDT 2004

Ara Avvali writes:

> Sorry if this might sound crazy, but is there anyway to rename root account
> to something else for extra security?
> Thank you

It would not provide you any more security.
The key thing is the UID which for root has to be '0'
You can create any number of accounts with UID of 0 if
you want.  I usually create another account with UID 0 for
my own use, but for convenience reasons and not security.
That way I can have a root account with a different home
directory and shell, and such stuff all ready for me when I
log in, but not have to tamper with the main root account.

////jerry