FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE and Windows XP on one system

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom at FernUni-Hagen.de
Thu Aug 26 05:08:44 PDT 2004

>Well FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 is running on my box with
>Windiws XP in
>dual boot. So the installation definitely works.

Ok, that is already a good hint.
What boot manager do you use for that dual boot system?

>First of all, have u
>fixed the master
>drive at the end of the cable and the slave drive in the
>middle
>connector?.

I need to check that. I did not know about such a
preference, and assumed both connectors are equal.

>probability you have already guessed. Yes it may be the
>BIOS. Its a
>good move to search the manufacturer site for updated
>BIOS and flash
>it. However be careful.

Perhaps I better try to get a newer board.. but then I
need newer ram, newer proc.. the usual upgrade madness. :)

> Thirdly, I would say put the 40G
>drive as
>master as olders drives have buggy controller firmware
>and they *may*
>create troubles in case of newer slaves.

OK, I'll try that.

>Fourtly, Jumper
>the drives
>explicitly to be master and slave. Do not rely on the CS.

I hope, I did that. But I check.

Thanks a lot for the hints!
Marc