Logging router errors using syslog

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 26 04:53:41 PDT 2004

FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE

My ADSL router/modem, Zyxel P650R-31, supports error logging to a remote
*nix host using syslog but I can't get it to work.

The router has been set up to log to the local2 facility and I've added
these lines to the end of /etc/syslog.conf:

!*
+P650R-31
local2		/var/log/router/zyxel

and created the log file and restarted syslogd (kill -HUP) - the machine
has also since been rebooted.

There is an entry in /etc/hosts for the router.

I originally made both router/ and router/zyxel 644 root/wheel but have
also tried changing the perms to 777 and changing the group to network.

Can anyuone suggest why this is not working?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mark