crontab question involving cvsup

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Thu Aug 26 00:15:22 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Joshua Tinnin
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:07 AM
To: FreeBSD-questions
Subject: crontab question involving cvsup

OK, I have searched the archives, and I can't find that my question has been
answered previously, but please forgive me if that's incorrect.

I'm using (or rather trying to use) cron to update my ports tree daily.
I've tried several different combinations without success, and lately this
is what I have in my crontab file:

/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /home/krinklyfig/supfiles/ports-supfile
&& /usr/local/bin/portindex && /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u

It runs as root once a day. What appears to be happening is that the cvsup
is happening, but portindex is not, and because of the latter portsdb -u
doesn't either. The reason I know cvsup is working is because portindex
indicates that the ports tree has been updated if I run it manually later,
but running portversion before manually running portindex will not indicate
any changes. The cron log doesn't show anything but the commands being
executed. So, my question is: is this type of command valid, or should each
command be separate? Or is it not working for some other reason?

- jt

Hi,

I'll suggest you to use /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -uU instead of
/usr/local/bin/portindex && /usr/local/sbin/portsdb -u
It works perfect with me :)

Regards,
Ivailo Tanusheff