FreeBSD Certifications? Does it exist?

Tim Kellers kellers at njit.edu
Wed Aug 25 21:36:38 PDT 2004

I'm the instructor (and the author of) the NJIT (New Jersey Institute of
Technology) "Open source unix classes."  The NJIT curriculum, while
non-credit and classified as "Professional Development' is the Only
University level course in the world that is both sanctioned as a bona fide
certificate program (certificate endorsed by NJIT) AND endorsed by the
FreeBSD foundation.  (If you don't believe me, e-mail Robert Watson of the
core FreeBSD team.)

NJIT offers 3 courses in the BSD unix certification program: Intro to Unix,
Unix Admin I and Unix Admin II in the certification track.  Until a year ago,
we also offered Solaris certification training: preparation for the Sun
Solaris exam  --which in the past 2 weeks has been announced as yet another
open-source track.  SUN plans, apparently, on basing its business plan on
earning a profit from it's proprietary java  implementations and it's
hardware development.

Unlike Sun, NJIT has placed 100 percent of it's successful certificate
candidates in IT jobs, and all on a track to system administrator positions.

The NJIT open source unix prgram remains a demanding and difficult program
--not unlike commercial system administrator positions.  While our selection
process is both stringent and competitive, we welcome potential candidates to
apply.  Our next in-class instruction begins in early October; out next
eLearning instruction begins September 1, 2004.

http://cpe.njit.edu/noncredit/#opensourceunix

Follow the links, and find out about our program: or. alternately, write
kellers at njit.edu (me) for further details.

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT