Updated to 4.10, now portupgrade?

Steven Friedrich FreeBSD at InsightBB.com
Wed Aug 25 17:44:30 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 08:01 pm, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> So now that I'm running 4.10, I understand I need to do a portupgrade
> on all ports? and then I'll install the ports I want.

Nope.

What you want to do is cvsup the ports collection, and probably the src-all
collection.  There are many ways to do it but here's how I do it.

Here's my /etc/make.conf.  Notice the lines regarding the three sup files:
# LIGHTNING: /etc/make.conf
#
# CPUTYPE doesn't work in 4.x yet, except openssh
#CPUTYPE=p4
#
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xfree86-4
#
BDECFLAGS= -W -Wall -amsi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
  -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
  -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings
#
# To avoid building various parts of the base system:
NOPROFILE= true # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
#
# If you're resident in the USA, this will help various ports to determine
# whether or not they should attempt to comply with the various U.S.
# export regulations on certain types of software which do not apply to
# anyone else in the world.
#
USA_RESIDENT=  YES
#
# CVSup update flags.  Edit SUPFILE settings to reflect whichever distribution
# file(s) you use on your site (see /usr/share/examples/cvsup/README for more
# information on CVSup and these files).  To use, do "make update"
in /usr/src.
#
SUP_UPDATE=     yes
#
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
#SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /root/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /root/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /root/cvsup/doc-supfile
#
# Documentation
#
# The list of languages and encodings to build and install
#
DOC_LANG= en_US.ISO8859-1

# cups-lpr requirements
#CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
#NO_LPR=yes

#
# -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
# Created: Sun Aug  8 11:13:32 2004
# Setting to use base perl from ports:
#PERL_VER=5.8.5
#PERL_VERSION=5.8.5
#PERL_ARCH=mach
#NOPERL=yo
#NO_PERL=yo
#NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

You can use find to find these files on your machine:
find / -name ports-supfile

You should also use find to look for an example make.conf.  There's knowledge
in there.

Don't be offended if you're familiar with find, I have no idea about your
expertise.

And within the ports-supfile, you'll probably let it say ports-all.

So then you go to /usr/src and say:
make update

And if you have if set up right, it'll connect to the cvsup server of your
choice and download the latest changes.  Please refer to the handbook for
more details for what I've discussed so far and/or ask questions.

After cvsupping the ports skeleton (a collection of Makefiles, etc.)
you need to run portsdb -U.

All the preceeding requires at least two ports already be installed, cvsup (or
cvsup-without-gui if you don't have X windows installed) and portupgrade.

Once you've cvsupped the ports skeleton, you'll be able to install the latest
version of any port (on occasion they're broke though).