no user interface

mailist at whoweb.com mailist at whoweb.com
Wed Aug 25 07:11:54 PDT 2004

As others have eluded to, FreeBSD does not provide a windows based user
interface after an installation.  The graphics you do eventually setup on the
system will be based upon X windows (see www.xfree86.org).  Unlike Microsoft,
there are numerous options for graphical windows interfaces that can be
installed and used on unix machines.  Therefore, there is no "standard" or
default windows configuration after installation although arguably there
could be and people could change it later on.  The Freesbie
(www.freesbie.org) have done some nice work related to automating the process
of detecting graphics cards and their parameters for X.

The X configuration procedure can be daunting for a novice user, so be
prepared to spend some time doing it and asking lots of questions.  But
you'renot done yet even if you get X working.  You are most likely going to
want a "desktop environment" like KDE (www.kde.org) or GNOME (www.gnome.org)
based upon what I *think* you might be looking for.  This is another layer of
software that interacts with X to "manage" your desktop windows and provide
easy interfaces for adding background images, changing colors, fonts, etc.
Once you get here, your average person would have a hard time looking at the
monitor and telling you what operating system was running on the system.  The
current KDE desktop environment is very user-friendly and looks alot like
what you are used to with Microsoft.

You can select X and a desktop environment as part of the FreeBSD
installation.  Unless you have very specific needs I suggest you select the
package option that gives you everything.  I don't recall the exact wording,
but it's something like "all sources, docs, games, and X".  Your 10gig is
plenty big enough for all of this.  At some point during the installation you
will be offered the opportunity to select a windows manager and you can
select which one you want.  I use KDE only because when I was in your
situation someone pointed me to KDE and I just stuck with it.  If they had
told me about Gnome, I'd probably still be using that one.  There are many
other desktop software packages available as well.  If you have the time, I
suggest you do a search for unix desktop software or unix window manager
and check out all the options.  Most have screenshots available on their
respective web sites.

To get where you want to go, you need to:
1) Install FreeBSD
2) Install X
3) Install kde, gnome, or some other desktop manager
4) Configure X for your specific graphics card and monitor.  You'll need to
know EXACTLY which model graphics card you have and the technical specs of
your monitor.
5) Run "startx" after logging in, or configure the system to start X and let
your desktop manager take care of the login process.

It's a lot of work, but the results are worth it.    I've gotten to the point
where I use my FBSD/KDE desktop for 95% of my needs.  No cost, no licenses.
Just take it one step at a time and you'll get to where you want to go.  The
latest iterations of xfree86 and kde web sites have gotten very good with
their install and configure documentation so there is lots of info available
to start you off.